Monday 6 January 2014

Help Yourself

So it’s the New Year and everyone has made their resolutions, well, except me. I don’t make New Year’s resolutions anymore because I can never stick to them. Some people may say that’s the point, that its tradition to make and break resolutions. But I’m getting slightly off topic here; fact is, this time of year, fiction sales figures take a hit. Yes some people will go out and buy that novel they’ve been promising themselves as part of their resolution, but most people will buy self-help books.

Now, before anyone starts thinking I’m having a go at self-help books, I’m not. I can give credit to two books that have helped me when I needed it. But fact is fiction isn’t as sort after. People everywhere want to change something about them-selves and it’s normally to do with their health. Quit smoking and lose weight are the top of the list, so books on these subjects walk out of the door and the money directly into the pockets of those cashing in. I will mention one book here, simply because I know it works from personal experience, and that is ‘Allen Carr’s Easyway to Stop Smoking’. No, that’s not Allen Carr the comedian and the only reason I mention this book is because it is the exception and not the rule.

Why do we drain our finances dry at Christmas only to do so again for one off fads like ‘Get thin by eating dust’ or ‘Lose weight by vomiting’ (these are just made up, obviously), when the book usually gets half-read, then chucked to the bottom of the book case, where during spring it gets taken to the local charity shop? It’s a complete waste of money. Why not instead, get a book that you know you’ll enjoy, a bestselling novel, that wonderful romance, or chilling thriller. The one you know you’ll finish because you won’t be able to put it down? Isn’t that a better use of your cash? That way the novel industry wouldn’t dwindle during the cold months and everyone would feel happier than if they’ve failed the latest dieting fashion.

Maybe I’m, just being pessimistic, it may work for a lot of people, but if it does, it’s doesn’t for any people I know. Let me know what you think. Read, follow, comment and enjoy. M x

No comments:

Post a Comment